Monday, April 19, 2010

Best Way To Clip Your Horse

I own a 21year old 15hand Morgan. For those of you who have not seen a Morgan, they are hairy!! I have owned him for six years now and every winter end up having to completely shave him three times. It would take me at least five hours each time to shave his whole body. My blades would break, the fuse would catch on fire, or I would run out of daylight. I am now an expert at shaving my horse, and now would like to share my strategy with the rest of the world.

One:

Make sure you start out early in the day! I know this seems like common sense, but sometimes you run into issues while clipping your horse. You can break your blades, or the clipper itself could break. By starting off early in the day this guarantees enough time for you to go out to the store if you need to and still have time to come back and finish the job.

Two:

This is the most important step. Make sure you give your horse a very detailed bath either the day before or the day of clipping. If your horse has a great deal of hair and wont dry within two hours of a bath then you should do it the day before. However, make sure your horse is completely dry before clipping. The importance of giving a bath is key in a smooth and “zig-zag” free effect. If the hair is smooth and clean it will be removed from the skin easier.

Three:

Come prepared! Make sure you have extra blades! I know I have emphasized the importance of having extra blades in the steps above, I will say it again. Get extra blades, and even if your can afford it, extra clippers. If you don't have the means or money for extras, make sure you have the name or number of a friend at the barn that has clippers. If worse comes to worse you can ask to borrow theirs to finish the job.



If you enjoyed reading Lani's article on Horses, you may also be interested in Panasonic Electric Shavers and
Remington Hair Clippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment